(keitai-l) Re: i-mode in Europe "cancelled"

From: Gustaf Rosell <gustaf_at_xpedio.com>
Date: 08/22/01
At 15:11 2001-08-21, you wrote:
> > Quote from an article on AnywhereYouGo
> > <http://www.anywhereyougo.com/imode/Article.po?id=416715>:
> >
> >     NTT DoCoMo had to postpone the launch of its 3G wireless handsets
> >     in Japan and cancel the "i-mode" program in Europe because of
> >     technical difficulties.
> >
> > Is this a misunderstanding on the part of the writer, or has there
> > really been a cancellation?
>
>I'd be careful, some statements in articles on AYG are not always
>correct. From what I heard, i-mode in Europe has not been cancelled but
>just delayed. Of course, in the end you can postpone things "forever" if
>you want.

It's not cancelled. It's postponed, or perhaps rather on hold.

The risk is of course that the delay means that the launch will happen in
the same market window as WAP 2.0 launches. Then it will be quite tricky to
motivate technical differences and using them as either advantages or
drawbacks. What is left is then the business model of the i-menu, email
rather than MMS and the guts not to care about backward WAP 1.x compatibility.

There is of course a question whether this is enough to motivate a launch
at that time? But as far as I know (with or without NDAs...) there is still
the ambition to go forward.

/gustaf