(keitai-l) Re: Keitai components

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 08/24/01
On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, Tony Chan wrote:

> Intel told me that they have a special licensing deal with ARM. They claim to
> be the only company that can actually change the architect (whatever this
> means in semiconductor jargon), hence the different name..

Probably "change the architecture," i.e., change the instruction set,
the way memory management works, or things like that.

I would not be surprised to know that Intel can do this, if they change
the name of the CPU. But the StrongARM they inherited from DEC is an
ARM in every sense of the word. It's no more different from other 32-bit
ARM chips than a Pentium II and a Pentium IV are different.

That said, it probably doesn't make much difference anyway. Your choice
of CPUs is "anything that runs the OS I want to run," and once you've
got the OS running you probably don't notice which CPU you're using,
for the most part. (I would assume all the higher-level stuff that phone
manufacturers are likely to be doing would be in a higher-level language.)
So you really just end up with a cost/performance/power/heat thing you've
got to decide on.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs_at_cynic.net>   +81 3 5778 0123   http://www.netbsd.org