(keitai-l) Re: Zaurus/Linux 3G PDA

From: Nick May <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 08/27/01
keitai-l@appelsiini.net writes:
>I wonder why they are branching
>the OSes like this?

It does seem strange - possibly the current Zaurus OS is so well known in
Japan that it gives them an advance start with developers  (plus lots of
apps) and a ready upgrade path for their installed user base.  Nor really
relevant to this list, but are the Japanese input libraries for Linux
fully mature, respected and small?  The fact they ARE branching the OS's
will allow for an interesting comparison between the performance on such a
platform of this kind of cut down LINUX and a custom OS.

I would guess putting users hacking Linux onto the Japanese version  and
retaining phone functionality/integration  might be tricky - they will
have a lot of custom hardware and their drivers may stay proprietory....
Worth shooting at though....

The Reg. did a roundup of PhonePDA's recently - they said that most of
them were a bit basic, but, I was interested to see, said that after about
a week they stopped carrying a second "proper" PDA and just carried the
phone PDA, despite the more limited functionality of the phone PDA.

Is anyone aware of any plans for phone functionality to be integrated into
the still semi-mythical YOPY? They mention bluetooth, but that's all.
(Yopy is Korean - I wonder if that has relevance....)

http://yopy.com/

Nick