(keitai-l) Re: away with the t and in with the S.

From: Michael Turner <leap_at_gol.com>
Date: 08/27/01
For overheated advertising rhetoric, I liked this part especially:

  "Cmo units have an embedded computer that exponentially increases
their functionality and allows consumers to reap the rewards of a
unique membership-based service."

Not sure I'd want to be around a vending machine that was
"exponentially increasing" its functionality.  "One minute it was
it was taking my coins and telling me that Pocari Sweat was
sold out, the next it was re-deriving Maxwell's equations and
leaping tall buildings in a single bound.  I imagine it must be
somewhere out near the Magellanic clouds by now, gaining
speed....and I never even got my can of Boss Coffee...."

Back here on earth: I've been given to believe that vending
machines in Japan have had cellular links for several years
now -- very helpful for sales tracking and inventory manage-
ment.  Not implausible.  Cellular could be pretty cheap if
you didn't have to worry about electronics miniaturization
or lithium batteries.  Anybody have info on this?

-michael turner
leap@gol.com