(keitai-l) Re: Will built-to-order keitai take-off outside Japan?

From: Pekka Parnanen <pekka.parnanen_at_solidtech.com>
Date: 08/29/01
I saw the same article and it was very interesting. This DoCoMo strategy
might work at start in Europe but it could fade off... In Europe, the
handset vendors have had very strong branding (like Nokia, Ericsson etc) and
people have been used to buy the 'hardware' (which is actually a very small
part of the keitai nowadays) from strong reliable 'brands' and to get the
service from 'whoever' provides the best and the most suitable service. This
has provided the freedom (THANKS TO STANDARDS LIKE GSM) to change the
service if not satisfied. In US and in Japan you will need to change both
the service and the phone if you are not satisfied ... not really very
customer friendly attitude?

Also, the service providers have not been as strong in branding in Europe -
like DoCoMo in Japan - so there might be problems in the future. This can
also be seen as KPN's way of survival.... And it is very clear that DoCoMo's
got the whip like Daniel indicated in this particular case....

There's quite a few service providers in Europe and they will have a hell of
the job if they want to build brands like Nokia. I could see some kind of
hybrid to happen and when the next version of WAP and i-Mode are likely to
'merge' this would give some freedom of the handset vendors from the service
providers. Some standardization on the 'services' (like WAP+i-mode) will
also leave more freedom for the handset vendors...

Pekka Parnanen
Solid. Making your network flow.

PS. laughing in Finnish.... ;-)