(keitai-l) Re: I just saw the strangest TV ad

From: Marc Printz <Marc.Printz_at_724.com>
Date: 10/02/01
> > How would Bluetooth meet this need??? Loosely put, you are
> comparing a
> > personal area network (Bluetooth) with a WAN (PHS)....
>
> I know.
> I was under the impression that Bluetooth had sufficient
> range to enable,
> say, a Granny's fridge, kettle, microwave etc. to communicate
> with each
> other, at least within the confines of a Japanese kitchen.
> One of these appliances - probably the fridge - would be wired to the
> good old fashioned Internet, and would thus be able to inform
> concerned
> siblings or careworkers if Granny failed to make herself a pot of tea,
> or drink her morning Yakult.
> I don't really see the advantage inherent in the PHS kettle being able
> to do this direct.

:-)

Even more likely, grama's kettle would talk directly to the sibling's
kettle: via all the other kettles in the neighborhood etc...(K2K). This
would cause a major disintermediation of fridges of course and put huge
pressure on the fridge industry.

Meanwhile, the kettles could chat about how similar their owner's usage
patterns are and whether these are related to genetic features or
education... Perhaps the usage patterns are like fingerprints and kettles
could be used by the NSA to detect where a certain person is...

Hey, and:
"(Disclaimer for the hungry journalists out there: Don't use my post without
my permission!)" (Juergen Specht, Keitai-l, Oct 2001)
(After working on my own statement for 1/2h I figured that cut-and-paste is
still more cost-effective - sorry! ;-)