(keitai-l) Re: Blip, blip, zap! 3G in Europe

From: Benjamin Kowarsch <benjk_at_mac.com>
Date: 10/11/01
On Thursday, October 11, 2001, at 11:55 , Juergen Specht wrote:

> Soon you can use 3G services also in Europe, the Group 3G
> announced their new service "Quam" and this is their
> homepage: http://www.quam.com/experience.html

Seamless roaming between Europe and Japan will be a long and stony way
though, so no reason to get excited just yet.

I tend to think that GSM/PHS roaming is a more serious contender, at
least for the time being. A GSM/PHS roaming protocol is already there,
and it's connection-less and far simpler, which is of great benefit in a
cross standard situation and its also far cheaper for both operators and
users. And it works seamlessly with GPRS even without CAMEL/IN.

So, it's probably going to be a lot easier and especially a lot cheaper
to pick up a GSM/PHS dual handset (NEC have it but haven't started
manufacturing yet) in order to get voice and data roaming services in
Europe (and vice versa) than it is to use 3G roaming (when and if it
will eventually become available).

rgds
benjamin