(keitai-l) Re: Blip, blip, zap! 3G in Europe & roaming...

From: Nick May <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 10/11/01
keitai-l@appelsiini.net writes:
>But if its not
>there then they just don't: no one is going to be hurt. Particularly not
>the
>majority of people.

True enough. People outside the EC tend not to regard roaming as such a
serious issue.

For incoming contacts,

If you have centralized email, you can forward that email to any phone you
choose (assuming it is email savvy. Of course, the inability to set a
"from" address for imode mail makes centralized email more tricky).

 If your answering machine can email the phone to say it has a message
(possibly with the first 10 seconds of the message), that might be useful
too.

For outgoing: carry a second (prepaid) phone.

And  a more Luddite reflection: anyone who has ever tried, seriously, to
have a holiday away from it all thanks their lucky stars that roaming is
in its infancy.

(I thought that Blip blip zap ad was quite funny - though I am skeptical
that the ability to play "pong" with someone in Milan will sell a lot of
phones. Quake, perhaps.)

Nick