(keitai-l) Re: Nokia 5510

From: Nik Frengle <eseller_at_eimode.com>
Date: 10/12/01
From: "Maria Pienaar" <maria.pienaar@solidtech.com>
> FOMA, being a WCDMA service supports the next generation SIM card, called
> UIM. It will be interesting to see if there is backward compatibility for
> the WCDMA phones to use current generation SIM's as well. Since WCDMA
phones
> are supposed to be dual-mode phones that will run both on WCDMA and
existing
> 2G and 2.5G networks, this should in theory be possible.

Who said they are supposed to be dual mode? This is definitely not part of
the WCDMA, or the IMT-2000 specification. They are NOT dual mode in Japan,
where DoCoMo has decided to go whole hog and try to roll out a complete
network in 18 months rather than try for backward compatibility. European
users are probably less likely to put up with an 18 month gap in their
coverage, and in Europe it may well be far longer than 18 months, so it
makes sense to have dual mode phones, but there is nothing I have seen that
requires it.
-Nik Frengle

---