(keitai-l) Re: keitai-l Digest V1 #81

From: Ben Hutchings <ben.hutchings_at_roundpoint.com>
Date: 10/16/01
On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 09:30:08AM +0100, Kai Leppanen wrote:
<snip>
> Cellular Packet Digital Data (CDPD) is a cost-efficient add-on for TDMA
> operators, because similarly to GPRS, only a small functional upgrade of
> base stations is necessary.

Pardon me if I'm wrong, but I believe CDPD is an add-on to AMPS networks
(perhaps that makes it 1.5G ;-).  Perhaps it can be added to IS-136 nets
too.

> At the very same time 'wow' WAP emerged and because of the hype, the
> operators started to explore the ways of bringing CDPD to the mass market.
> In May 2000, AT&T introduced its PocketNet service, running WAP like HDML
> services over CDPD.
<snip>

I believe PocketNet allows full Internet access if you use a device with the
appropriate software, though this isn't 'supported'.  OmniSky and YadaYada
also sell service via AT&T's network and support web and email access from
PDAs; I don't know whether they also allow full Internet access through
additional software.  I think they've been doing this since about the same
time.