(keitai-l) Re: Packet Video, Emblaze Wireless, and other Steaming companies

From: Jay <wirelessjava_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 10/17/01
As a Director of Wireless Products I would hope you would know the strengths and weakness of your competition. Obviously that you need to do some research on your competition. I am neither apart of Packet Video, HelloNetwork, Emblaze Wireless or any other streaming wireless company. I believe that the real winners of the Streaming Media players will be able to have a good combo of hardware as well as software with MPEG-4.

What I mean is basically mean is to have a Software Based solutions that also works with an Embedded Solution in the Handset. To better define this, I wanted to basically break down the competition I have seen. Most of the Companies do agree that MPEG-4 is the future but people wanted to support more formats as well.

Emblaze Wireless

Hardware Partner: Samsung, LG Telecom

MPEG-4 Supported both on the Software End and Hardware end on the Handsets.  This means that the chips on the handsets support the decoding of MPEG-4

Business Model:  They have a business model which aligns with the Telcom people and does an ASP type model, but you have to buy their CODEC

Packet Video

Hardware Partner:  Qualcomm   CDMA Chipset    ARM7TDMA Chipset

MPEG-4 Supported both on the Software End and Hardware end on the Handsets.  This means that the CDMA chips on the handsets support the decoding of MPEG-4

Business Model:  They can have an ASP model but the company can choose for all the Servers to be licensed to the Content provider

Hello Newtork

Hardware Partner:  ????????????

They are so secretative of their products that they dont show much.   All they state that they have an End to End Java Solution?

Bussiness Model :  ?????????

I do not claim to know everything but they seem to keep everything quiet till recently.   Their CEO is an ex-Exec from 3Com; The company is located in Las Vegas

Can anyone comment about other wireless streaming companies

-----Jay

Java Architect, Qualcomm's Brew Developer,  Wireless Consultant from Silicon Valley

=== message truncated ===