(keitai-l) Re: (keitai-l)How to send sms messages from imode phone

From: Benjamin Kowarsch <benjk_at_mac.com>
Date: 10/18/01
I have been looking for but couldn't find any specific Keitai-SMS
gateways.

However, there is a web based free SMS service operated by South African
MTN at

http://www.mtnsms.com

the format may not be suitable for micro browser access, but they do
have an interface to instant messaging and they also might support SOAP
(or might do if asked nicely as this comes now standard with Apache and
other http servers). If all else fails, you could built your own gateway
to the MTN web site. You could do this with a bit of scripting. This has
the advantage that you won't need any agreements with network operators
because the MTN web site is a free service for anybody who wants to use
it - they've got 7 million users.

I have actually managed to send an SMS via MTN's website using a script
on my Mac and I was going to link this to incoming email so I could send
email from my keitai to the Mac and have it posted automatically into
MTN's web form. However, I used a library that is only available for the
legacy MacOS and I have since upgraded to OSX (Thank God I'm back on
Unix after all these years of waiting) and that particular third party
library isn't available for OSX, therefore I was going to explore the
SOAP or XML-RPC route.

If anybody is interested to join forces and explore this a bit further,
email me offlist. I was going to do this just for myself but maybe there
is an opportunity providing Keitai to SMS as a service, in which case
however it would have to be bi-directional which is a bit more effort.

rgds
benjamin