(keitai-l) Re: iMode on GIF

From: David Davies <david_at_intadev.com>
Date: 10/19/01
On Friday, 19 October 2001 12:26 PM Nick May wrote:

>> >Can anyone tell me why DoCoMo decided to go with GIF format with
iMode
>> >as opposed to JPEG or PNG?  There seems little sense in this, either

>> >technically or economically.
>>
>> Possibilities:
>>
>> 1) smaller files size (for icons and limited/flat colour files) than
jpeg.
>> 2) they can be made to flash/move. Horribly, but that is what many
here want.... .png could not (at launch time, at least)
>> 3) They had no idea the service would be such a success and did not
envisage colour screens, high bandwidth availability, etc...
>> 4) take less time to display on the original low cpu speed
handsets......
>> (???)
>> 5) Take less firmware code to process - again maybe relevant on the
original handsets....
>> 6) .png was still not mainstream when the service was launched.

4 and 5 are very significant,

The code to uncompress and display [non-animated]GIFs (in C/Assembler at
least) is much smaller (about 2-3x) and faster than that for JPG.  PNG
is somewhere between.

Regards,
David Davies
http://www.intadev.com