(keitai-l) Re: Ericsson T68 and Trium Eclipse

From: Petri Ojala <ojala_at_iki.fi>
Date: 10/28/01
> I would not be surprised if Sanyo will be the new GSM/GPRS OEM partner
> for Nokia.
> In Japan Nokia hides the co-operation with Sanyo quite well. On all parts
> where a name of the 'manufacturer' is allowed to be printed it says
> Nokia Japan. If Nokia can re-engineer this phone to GSM/GPRS they will
> have secured their piece of the GPRS cake.

If one looks the GSM/GPRS success of any Japanese vendor, including Sanyo (I
didn't know that they still exist), and Nokia GSM/GPRS(tobe, 8310 is selling
well) success, I wonder who needs help from who..  It's not really only the
technology and how to make it into devices, just look how the Japanese
manufacturers are doing outside of Japan or how Motorola is having hard time
outside of the US (and now even in the US).

Anyway, I wonder how the GSM markets in e.g. Europe would receive the clam
shell design and gizmo features like the camera (what people do with it?
it's far from a quality digital camera anyway).  I find it interesting that
if you look at Nokia's GPRS offerings, business people are waiting for the
bigger 6310 compared to the existing, smaller 8310.  I don't think the
addition of Bluetooth is the reason, although personally I would prefer
8310/Ericsson T68 over 6310 anytime.

Petri