(keitai-l) Re: JPhone introduces Prepay

From: Daniel Helmer <daniel_helmer_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 10/30/01
I'm a bit curious as to why it is the Vodafone influence that leads J-Phone
to push for prepaid. I would think the opposite.

In Europe, Vodafone has really been in the forefront of moving away from
prepaid. In maturing markets (I think we can consider Japan a maturing
market as well), operators like Vodafone have started emphasising heavily on
keeping and up-selling profitable customers, and trying to get rid of the
unprofitable ones (eg. prepaid). Penetration rates and market share are
losing flavour. I bet many operators now regret they pushed so hard for
prepaid a few years back...

Here in Australia, Vodafone 'proudly' announced they lost 41,000 subscribers
(mainly unprofitable prepaid 'riffraff') in the last quarter. Both Vodafone
& Telstra are now removing handset subsidies altogether (not good for GPRS
take-up, but that's another story)...

Cheers,

Daniel Helmer
Consultant