(keitai-l) Re: SPAM banned?

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 11/01/01
On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, Alan Horowitz wrote:

> I still curious about why spammers bother doing it.  I've never
> heard of anyone who sends in money for these crappy deals.

You don't have to.

From what I understand, typically direct-marketing response rates for
physical mail are in the single-digit percentage range. And this response
is good enough to make it worth spending twenty cents per address or
whatever sending the stuff out.

Even if e-mail costs .02 cents per address for a mass mailout (which I
expect it's nowhere near, though I never did the cost analysis when I was
spamming a largish opt-in list), that means than what used to require a 3%
response now requires a 0.003% response, or one in thirty-thousand-odd
people has to respond.

Also, I expect a lot of people doing this are new to the concept, and
don't understand the results or the consequences. Thus, they stop after
one or two tries.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs_at_cynic.net>   +81 3 5778 0123   http://www.netbsd.org