(keitai-l) Re: One big family?

From: Maria Pienaar <maria.pienaar_at_solidtech.com>
Date: 11/13/01
On Tuesday, November 13, Tony Chan wrote:

" I'm sure everyone has seen this, but what the hell is going on?
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/011112/hsm038_1.html
Does this mean the end of Openwave and M-services? What about i-mode in
Europe? What
exactly did KPN paid DoCoMo licensing fees for anyways?"

Not at all. The M-services standard is a GSM Association initiative, and
although Openwave was a key contributor to the effort, this would mean a
possible expansion on all the areas that needs standardization within the
M-services initiative. Interesting to see that Openwave is not part of this.

Openwave is also migrating towards the WAP2.0/XHTML standard and so is
i-mode within the next releases. Openwave will however face a lot more
competition in the market due to unified standards. It also does not imply
that i-mode is dead - i-mode is more than just a technology - it is a
business model and as such I do not see the i-mode like services planned in
Europe will be impacted by this. This initiative can only mean a better
platform for proliferating content, applications and services for mobile
data by having all parties agree on interoperability and roaming standards
and processes. After all, one can still say that this is moving more towards
the "i-mode" model where there will be a single standard for everyone to
develop applications and services to, with the ability to have the services
follow the subscriber does not matter where they may be roaming. We know
what the impact of a single standard and business model had for i-mode in
Japan. It is high time that the Service Providers get the vendors to move
away from their proprietary mode of products and moving towards a single
standard.

Maria Pienaar
Director, Wireless Business Development
Solid