(keitai-l) Re: SHIFT-JIS and non-Japanese content

From: Nick May <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 11/15/01
keitai-l@appelsiini.net writes:
>As I understand, the only form of encoding that iMode handsets will
>support is SHIFT-JIS. Is this true?
> If so, could someone please advise
>if SHIFT-JIS will display ISO-8859-1 characters.

"displaying English" as such is not a problem, for most characters. There
are lots if English sites displaying quite happily. If your site is
dynamic you can simply rip the problematic chars out before you throw them
out the door, replacing them with whatever is ok for the sjis encoding.
(You will probably be doing dynamic linebreaks anyway, so this is not such
an additional hit) However, the more esoteric elements of the characters
sets will be problematic as there may not be a sjis equiv. Portugese is a
different kettle of fish I suspect - but you can simulate pretty much what
people will see by testing your pages with sjis as the encoding type in an
ordinary browser.

Nick