(keitai-l) How is Japanese handset software developed?

From: Hathway Richard <RHathway_at_sendo.com>
Date: 11/19/01
Hi,

I have looked at the archives but could not find any
answer to this ...

"How do Japanese handset manufacturers and network operators
 design, develop & integrate handset software?"

There is MUCH interesting software running on Japanese
handsets - the writing and integration of this software
must be a very difficult process to control!

I now have some questions:

1. Do the handset manufacturers have big application software
   development teams?
or
   Do the network operators have big application software
   development teams?
or
   Do external software houses do most of the application development
   and then sell to the handset manufacturer and/or network operator?

2. Are most handset applications in "standard" Java - or are many
   also written in 'C'?

3. If there are many 'C' applications, is there a standard API used by
   all Japanese handsets?

4. How is each new application integrated into a handset and/or network?
   Who usually does this integration work?

5. Do the Japanese handsets have a very large MMI - or is the MMI that
   we "see" also a large downloaded application which controls other
   downloaded applications?

6. Do the Japanese handsets usually include an Operating System such as
   PSOS or VxWorks ... or is some other technology used?

Finally, does anyone have a list of Japanese software suppliers who write
applications, system software, MMIs etc for use in handsets?

Thanks!

regards,

Richard