(keitai-l) Re: One big family?

From: Ben Hutchings <ben.hutchings_at_roundpoint.com>
Date: 11/19/01
On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 11:12:54PM +0000, Daniel Helmer wrote:
<snip>
> I think the notion that there is massive incremental revenue in Mobile
> Commerce (eg. monetary transactions from people actually buying goods
> using their mobile terminal) is basically wrong. Companies who see the
> mobile as a new point of sale (say a retailer or etailer - or bank...) are
> likely to be very disappointed with the incremental revenue from the
> mobile channel. What is the value proposition to buy a book or CD from
> Amazon.com on your mobile phone? Sure, some people probably will, but not
> enough to build a business on it.
<snip>

Right - there's no point in trying to sell things this way that aren't time-
and location-critical.  However, that leaves a fair number of applications
like:

* getting a taxi
* ordering a pizza delivery
* booking a cinema ticket

Even without turning these into online applications, you can run a directory
service that provides telphone links and charges a referral fee to the
listed businesses.

--
I do not speak for Roundpoint; any opinions I express are my own.