(keitai-l) Re: The truth about mobile data

From: Renfield Kuroda <Renfield.Kuroda_at_morganstanley.com>
Date: 11/20/01
timecop@japan.co.jp wrote:

> actually, "mobile data" in japan was dead before it even appeared. I've
> basically watched / followed their "i-mode revolution" and let me tell
> you, if docomo doesn't start selling some normal phones sometime soon,
> they are going to be hurting real bad...

Can you elaborate on this? What is a normal phone -- non i-mode? And what does
"hurting real bad" mean: depressed stock price? lower sales/revenue? loss of
marketshare?

> but then again, none of the
> phones are actually "sold" for need, they are "pushed" on to customers
> with extra options whether they need it or not. (this coming from a person
> who actually works fairly close with a docomo sales shop)

Again, elaboration would be appreciated. Are you saying the high churn rate in
Japan is a false demand created by DoCoMo? Since you work fairly close with a
docomo sales shop, are there some secret coersive sales tactics docomo shop
employees are trained in to push unnecessary services on unsuspecting
customers?

> Can you guess I don't own a docomo phone? Not to mention the price,
> service, and usability (for TALKING, nothing else), offered by other
> carriers much exceeds DoCoMo "service".

And yet DoCoMo has maintained dominant marketshare for years...

> What's the big deal about looking at a web page on a 160x160 screen?

Or sending email? Or customizing a ringtone?

Regards,

r e n

--
ascii: r e n f i e l d
octal: \162 \145 \156 \146 \151 \145 \154 \144

e-business technologies | engineering and strategy

"Connecting people, ideas and capital,
we will be the world's first choice
for achieving financial aspirations"