(keitai-l) Re: IOBOX?

From: Heimo Laukkanen <huima_at_iki.fi>
Date: 11/21/01
Juergen Specht wrote:

> Hi Keitai-l,
>
> IOBOX is a pretty successful (I heard) wireless service,
> but what does this mean:
> http://www.iobox.fi/the_end_popup_fi.html
>
> I am sorry, but I can not read finnish...anybody can
> translate and send a summary?
>
> There must be a reason that the file is called "the end"...

Iobox shuts down in scandinavia, or well atleast in Finland and Sweden.
The portals iobox.fi and iobox.se will shutdown in december. In other
news they explain, that it is hard to compete here now when the markets
are pretty focused and competition is hard.

So the question was about making enough money. I don't know if Iobox was
ever that succesfull making money, even though they had a lot of users.
Terramobile bought a lot of technology and innovations - and now it was
time to shut down operations that made no sense. Iobox-portals didin't
offer anything too amazing and apparently did not make enough money.

And about competition in Finland...

Almost anyone can sell ringtones and logos - and have different mobile
service, either wap or sms. There are big media companies having their
own multimillion portals and even 14 year olds, who are running their
own web- and mobile portals. Now - try to compete here and make money
offering mobile entertainment...

-huima