(keitai-l) Re: And dat's da twoof (was Re: The truth about mobile data)

From: Funk <funk_at_rieb.kobe-u.ac.jp>
Date: 11/22/01
> banking and other financial transaction services on the menu this category
> still only accounts for about 5% of access on the i-mode system.  On
> independent surveys that we have carried out on a sample of i-mode users
> only about 20% of users reported ever using an online banking service.
> Regards
> Jamie Cattell
> Research International

Jamie
the 5% number includes all transactions such as buying concert tickets
(basically any of the activities under the "shopping" part of the i-mode
menu) and these types of transactions are far greater than the banking and
financial transactions. many of these shopping transactions involve other
media like convenience stores and magazines. This "multi-channel"
integration is probably one of the most surprising of i-mode but also the
number of people who respond to surveys (as you well know) and participate
in related brand-image building activities with manufacturers like
shiseido. an even bigger application will be the integration of television
programming and mobile contents thus giving us the interactivity that has
been promised with digital television, but without buying a digital
television! there are of course problems still to be solved, like
potentially huge and instanteous traffic and how to compensate actors for
products that are bought on the mobile internet while they do something on
the tv screen. pandora's box just keeps being openened wider and that's why
we all enjoy this field!

Jeff Funk

http://www.rieb.kobe-u.ac.jp/~funk/index.html