(keitai-l) Re: ERP on i-mode phones?

From: Funk <funk_at_rieb.kobe-u.ac.jp>
Date: 11/22/01
> While only having a high-level knowledge of ERP software works, mobilising
> it is usually not so much developing a client application, but a middleware
> that extracts certain infomation from the ERP database and delivers it to
> the mobile via SMS, WAP browser or whatever platform. Plenty of firms have
> solutions in this area. SAP has had a mobile version for quite some time, so
> I believe one based on i-mode is overdue... So DoCoMo are getting serious
> about corporates, it seems...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Daniel Helmer

I wonder if good solutions actually exist; in other words ones that firms
and their employees actually use. from reading various japaese newspapers
and magazines and visting some of them, there are more than 20 firms
developing various forms of groupware and ERP software for mobile phones
and more than 100 different firms trying to implement them (the most
successful are simple applications implemented by the delivery companies).
docomo has been involved with a variety of thse projects including one with
Microsoft called mobimagic that apprently has been a flop. Oracle also
involved with this area. It also appears that standard solutions have not
yet emerged although the latest docomo efforts may change that. the problem
is that without a std solution, the market will probably not grow. the
question is, as Mr. Helmer implies, what is the specific information that
needs to be extracted from the ERP database and in what form should it be
extracted?  And is it possible to extract and present meaningful
information on the mobile phone screen. japanese content providers have
introduced mail and site customization services to simplify access to
contents. for example, DLJ direct securities reduced the number pages that
needed to be accessed when buying or selling stocks from 8 to 4 by offering
these kinds of services. Similar services will probably also be important
in the ERP field but I wonder whether the services are mail, site
customization, java, or something more complex.

jeff funk
http://www.rieb.kobe-u.ac.jp/~funk/index.html