(keitai-l) Re: OTA config. question

From: Marc Printz <Marc.Printz_at_724.com>
Date: 11/27/01
Hi Clive,

Gateway: In Japan's packet based networks the gateway is at the telco only.
There's no way to directly connect to an enterprise gateway. So it is not
configurable, neither manually nor OTA.

Bookmarks: I don't know.

Home page: Default settings by European carriers typically point to their
own portals but it is possible to change this manually or OTA. In Japan the
telco-portals are the simple & default way into the mobile world. They
provide for the list of official content providers, for micropayments, for
location services, for services that need higher security, and for your
subscribed services: "my menu". This can't be changed although you can use
bookmarks etc to directly go to any specifc site. The latter may of course
be a portal but it would not benefit from many features the telco portal
offers. (There were some news about regulations to open up but nothing has
happened yet afaik -> keitai-l?!).

Certificates: No OTA-push in this world for this. CA certs for server
authentication can be downloaded in WAP/GSM via special mime-type. My DoCoMo
503i phone has some preinstalled - I don't think it is possible to load
others - is this correct, keitai-l? Anyways, in Japan all you make sure with
these certs is that you're talking to the right gateway: SSL connections are
not end-to-end in i-mode (only for i-Appli; still true, keitai-l? What about
KDDI/J-Phone?). Compare: WAP-gap.

I think that OTA as it is today has also some security implications: anyone
can send an OTA config to a Nokia or Ericsson phone. It is not very well
thought out yet for my taste.

Just my two yen
Regards
Marc