(keitai-l) Re: An FYI

From: Josh White <josh_at_blackbrick.com>
Date: 11/28/01
From: "Daniel McQuillen" <danmcquillen@yahoo.com>>
> A new issue of GameDeveloper magazine is out (don't
> know the first thing about game development, but I'm
> very good at wasting money on magazines) and current
> topic is "wireless game development."

I used to write a column for Game Developer and have friends who work there,
so read this with your bias filter on.

I admire GDMag for their stubborn commitment to "raw data" over fluff.  Most
of their articles are written by actual game developers. They're pretty
US-centric and normally focus on "normal" games - console and PC development,
though they're always trying to broaden their scope.

The wireless issue was definitely US-centric (heavy emphasis on J2ME and BREW
development  - but where's Palm?) which was fine with me.   I liked
NuvoStudios' guidelines of optimizing for J2ME games - some simple BREW
optimization examples, warnings about working with power-save, etc.  Mitch
Lasky (JAMDAT CEO) gave some insight into his view of mobile game publishing
biz that was also interesting.

...and, of course, Daniel Scuka's nice summary of Java games in Japan was
good.  I liked the profile of Cybird, and the warnings about the carriers'
exclusivity in choosing "official" content providers.

BTW, If keitai'ers have articles published, I'd be interested to hear about
it.

-Josh

Josh White
Blue Mug Inc.