(keitai-l) OT (way!) Re VaxStation BSD ports in Japan (was Re: Re: Nokia is in !)

From: Michael Turner <leap_at_gol.com>
Date: 11/30/01
From: "Curt Sampson" <cjs@cynic.net>

> On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, Benjamin Kowarsch wrote:
>
> > I also had two guys fighting over an old VAXstation which I had not
> > expected to be able to sell at all. They too, were enticed by the thrill
> > of owning a "legendary VAX". Who says there are no individualists in
> > Japan ;-)
>
> There are tons of NetBSD developers in Japan, so I don't find this so
> surprising at all. In fact, VAX was one of the first NetBSD ports to
> get multi-processor support (before sparc and alpha!).
>
> But then again, these people (which I guess includes me) are apparently
> considered so otaku that even the Linux-using crowd is scared of them....

Anyone who has met Curt would have to agree that he, at least, is
a pretty scary guy ;-)

Not that there's any reason to be scared of NetBSD itself.  My cats, at
any rate, seemed completely unintimidated, watching the installation of
all those fonts and utilities, as if they'd never seen a computer before.
(Maybe they were hoping this would mean yet another warm computer
monitor to sleep on top of....)

-michael turner
leap@gol.com