(keitai-l) Re: ... disposable mobile phones

From: Heimo Laukkanen <huima_at_iki.fi>
Date: 12/02/01
Marc Printz wrote:

> I wouldn't be surprised if this approach had a huge impact on the global
> phone market and how it will develop. Perhaps a bigger influence than the
> invention of prepaid. Could also have a great influence on voice services,
> too - a yet totally underdeveloped area. A guess: the more market share
> these simple phones will get the more voice services will become feasible.

True. This could have great impact in both the mobile business overall -
but also make speech services more popular. I just saw a newsclip from
Deutsche Welle where a german scientist presented their speech
recognising software. I have to say that it really rocked compared to
anything else that I had previously seen. And what was really cool was
that they are next trying to make the computer actually understand the
conversation -- and this way improve the usability, since to understand
what is said one has to know the words, but also the context in which
they are said.

This could mean a start of new era, if we would have the possibility to
have a computer programs that can really understand what we are trying
to say -- not only what we are saying. This way voice services would be
more usable, since there would be more than one way to get the work done
and the syntax would be more intuitive.

You could order a personal secretary voice / wap / web - service from
your operator and add services to your secretary just like you bought
services now. For example while driving your car you secretary could
tell if there are new messages, could forward the messages to your
collegue -- check the latest news and inform you about the progress of
your stock portfolio. Of course developing this kind of services means a
lot of AI programming in addition to just the speech recognision.

It would be nice to see, who will be the main users for these disposable
phones and how many new mobile users availability of these phones will
generate. For example, has anyone any figures what disposable cameras
made to the sales of normal cameras? In which cases users preferred a
disposable device and when did they want a normal camera.

There are many cases where I can see that disposable phone would be
really usable and kewl, but for regular use the normal phones are still
a must.

-huima