(keitai-l) Re: OT: spam aversion tactic Q

From: Thomas O'Dowd <tom_at_nooper.com>
Date: 12/07/01
On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 05:58:14PM -0800, Jason Pollard wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is OT, but since this is the only ML I subscribe to, and you all seem to
> be a fairly intelligent and verbose bunch, I thought I'd throw it out here.
> Well, maybe it's mildly related, as the amount of spam I've been getting has
> skyrocketed since I first posted to this list.  Then again, that roughly
> coincides with the dot bomb, and maybe the price Yahoo is selling my email
> address for falls in lockstep with their share price.  I dunno.

I would argue that it's unrelated to your post to this list but rather
a factor of using the large domain addresses like yahoo or hotmail. Same
problem with docomo and j-phone addresses.

> Anyway, If I change my email address to display something like
> 'nospam_jasonpollard@yahoo.com', with a note for people to remove the 'nospam_'

I personally don't like this behaviour and don't think its necessary with
keitai-l. You should be able to filter yahoo mail to just delete spam
anyway as yahoo adds spam headers to mail it considers spam. That's what
I do and it works well with my yahoo address.

> bit when replying, will that be able to stop robots that scan archives of ML's
> like this from grabbing my addr?  Does anybody else do this?  Is doing this too
> inconvenient for people who want to correspond with me?  Does the
> 'bounce_keitai-l' address serve this same purpose?  Your thoughts please.

The bounce address for keitai-l serves a very different purpose. Basically
as email addresses subscribed to a list no longer work etc, the "bounced" mail
will be sent back to this address rather than the sender of the mail so
that the mail list software can manage/unsubscribe etc the bouncing email
address.  This is pretty standard for a mail list. Nothing to do with spam.

Tom.
--
Thomas O'Dowd. - Nooping - http://nooper.com
tom_at_nooper.com - Testing - http://nooper.co.jp/labs