(keitai-l) Re: ERP on i-mode phones

From: Shashank Tripathi <shanx_at_shanx.com>
Date: 12/08/01
Hi James,

Long time since I've checked this list so I might be a tad out of context.
The original posting I am replying to is included at the end of this
message.

    >> ummmm. ERP isn't meant to be fashionable...

If you read my message carefully, the word was never meant to indicate that
fashion is more important than function (sorry to prick a balloon, but
that's quite a cliche I would imagine). However, things that gain currency
in an industry usually have some good reasons for doing so, and looking at
those reasons is almost always a very good idea.

    >> And the current adoption of PocketPC 2002 by corporates
    >> does rather indicate that fat clients are not going to disappear
    >> any time soon.

Several corporates might have adopted blackberry and Palm platforms as well.
What does that have to tell you about thin clients or otherwise in any way?
PocketPC, the last time I checked, was still very much the OS for that
device, isn't it?

Of course devices will need an OS, and those OSes might come with some
standard pre-built functionality, but that does not mean that loading the
whole device with *additional* thick client-side software is the intended
strategy of any corporate. A simple common access software (e.g., a browser)
on a pocketPC/Palm/WhatHaveYou might (and is) perhaps a lot more practical
approach.

Interestingly, even the company you seem to know well, SAP, seems to be
increasingly inclined to move away from its bulky R/3 legacy to more
centralized architecture based on a WebLogic platform? (Maybe you can help
me on this one).

    >> a host of web services issues need to be resolved. they don't
    >> magically get rid of the problems

Of course they won't. I am wondering what in my message gave you this
impression to begin with.

But there is a strong value proposition in the web services architecture and
ignoring the inherent benefits of new technologies such as web services,
which is what Victor's email seemed to be so blatantly doing, is what I was
writing against.

In any case, to make this thread more relevant to the present forum, it
would be helpful if you or Victor can actually mention some facts from your
experience that make it important to have client-side software on
keitai...for instance, is there some functionality that cannot be delivered
on a web-based or webservices-based model and accessed via a common access
platform such as a browser on a keitai or a handheld?

Shanx

PS.
The pun about "incite" was interesting! :)