(keitai-l) Re: interesting scam continued...

From: David Emery <dave_at_skiddlydee.com>
Date: 12/10/01
>I've been keeping my eyes open for further sources of the mail I sent
>in about the 100,000 yen bills you could end up with after calling back
>a number.
>
>The Nikkei newspaper on Friday the 7th (p19) had more information about it
>and basically said that the big bill comes not from the operators but
>from the "mob" or company owning the numbers you called back. The paper
>said there is no obligation on you to pay the bill save for perhaps
>a threat of muscle. Anyway, that's the story, rory.

There was a similar story in Sunday's Japan Times (attributed the the
Shukan Post). I think it's important to note that (at least according to
the JT/SP article) the charges were not incurred just by calling back the
wangiri number. The people who were scammed had actually used the phone sex
services of the companies in question and were then sent an inflated bill
for those services.