(keitai-l) Re: bwute! [i-mode ssh]

From: Thomas O'Dowd <tom_at_nooper.com>
Date: 12/13/01
On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 04:23:49AM +0100, Wolfgang Slany wrote:

> I know about the security problem. However, my procmail script scans the
> complete header which cannot so easily be faked, actually quite difficult
> I believe but please correct me if I am mistaken.

Its also easy to fake if you talk smtp directly. The hardest part is
the place where the faker does the smtp connection, as the smtp server
will log the incoming ip in the last headers. This can be faked too
but requires special effort :)

> And there are a couple
> of additional features such as a password, so a faker must know my
> procmail script and my handy settings and on top of that be able to fake
> the complete header. If he can do all that without me finding out about
> his attempts (otherwise I would of course immediatly shut down the
> tunnel), he probably can become root on our site anyway despite our
> firewall etc, so hacking into my account will not really be the weakest
> link in our line of defense.

Truth is you are probably safe enough if you keep it obscure. Another way
is to also limit your command set to pre-configured named commands. Allow
no extra arguments or user input except the selecting of the command, by
way of a code (number/name etc). This would decrease the risk somewhat.

Tom.
--
Thomas O'Dowd. - Nooping - http://nooper.com
tom_at_nooper.com - Testing - http://nooper.co.jp/labs