(keitai-l) Re: pinning messages in the air

From: Nick May <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 12/18/01
keitai-l@appelsiini.net writes:
>So I can walk into a bar and have a web page set to my personal location
>that says something like, "looking for no-strings attached
>romance tonight" and never have to bother with fumbling over lame pick up
>lines....?
>
>Considering how plentiful my lame pickup lines are, that should
>definitely produce no complaints from a "possible matching partner".

Now you see why this was originally sent with the subject line "hot stud
here".  (I gather it was just a minor tech issue that prevented that post
getting through. ) To be honest, down here in Sunny F., we tend not to
have to bother with anything as indirect as a pickup line, so I doubt we
would find a use.

cjs@cynic.net mentioned slashdot and ebay (to which one could add hiro5hin
and advogato) as examples of self moderating information communities. The
problem is, for this to work, one needs something which is better, more
elegant and more scaleable (yes, I know slashdot is big, but not
gps-coordinates of the world big) than what they currently provide.
Slashdot moderation limps along at best and is a pain to do. Moderation
through a PDA screen is something else again. Without moderation, one has
either commercial services or spam.

Still, it might have some application....

>"looking for no-strings attached romance tonight"

I moderate this as "limp".

Nick

I wonder, can one patent a set of gps co-ordinates?