(keitai-l) Re: cn u rd ths w/o kllng me?

From: <hag_at_eatoni.com>
Date: 12/20/01
Christian writes:

| I read about a company that does something similar with the numeric keypad, except that it does "eigo-henkan" conversion on the fly.
| Type in "t" and a list of words with beginning with t pop up, ordered by either frequency in the English language or frequency in
| your own style.   Type in "h" next and you get all the words starting with "th."  Basically it is the same dealy as on most "help
| search" programs on your computer nowadays.  This system would get you to type in full words quite quickly with minimal thumb
| movement.

The idea of predictive text entry of the sort "just press the first letter or so and the word pops up"
comes up often in the field. It sounds so seductive, but it doesn't work. Meaning, it ends up
being much more work for the user, much more mental anguish, and, finally, much slower, than
just entering the word directly. (It can be made to work in very special circumstances, my comments apply
to all the usual approaches which you see in commerce.)

See:

http://www.cs.strath.ac.uk/~mdd/research/publications/00dunlopcrossan.html

for some research in this area.

regards,