(keitai-l) notes from The Economist Technology Quarterly feature (OK, September's, but anyway)

From: Michael Turner <leap_at_gol.com>
Date: 12/24/01
It's been possible for me, in recent years, to maintain a
pretense of sanity (in writing, that is; in person I've
given up); but only because I try to emulate those
info-smoothies at The Economist.

We know-it-alls--and all you know-it-all wannabees--would
be utterly lost without this magazine.  Admit it.  Arguably,
we're a pretty lost bunch anyway, but even in denial you have
to cling to something.  In lieu of a firm, feet-on-the-ground
base in reality, we'll grasp at any old flapping hot-air balloon
full of glibness, for the sake of getting a grip, any grip.  Especially
if we can subvocalize a droll British accent while being dragged
aloft.

The articles summarized below illustrate both the heights and
depths of this venerable rag.  All are germane to topics brought
up recently in keitai-l; all are from The Economist Technology
Quarterly section (from way back in Sept, sorry):

----------------------
Article: Tapping the Ether

Gist: 802.11b security -- it's the next best thing to yelling in public

Grade: B+/A-

Link: http://www.economist.com/science/tq/displayStory.cfm?Story_ID=779411

Giggle: mentions a cracking tool called "AirSnort"  (Well, but of course--
  how else does one snort?)  Rhymes nicely with "AirPort", which is
  both a product name in this space, and when not InterCapped,
  an actual space (one currently bristling with post-9/11 paranoia)
  that's been suggested for widespread 802.11 wireless deployment.

Significance: VoIP over 802.11b might be pretty snoopable.  Your
  company will be able to sue espresso chains for security lapses.
  Maybe.  Unless your boss points out, "Why the hell were you
  blabbing out loud in Starbucks about our secrets, anyway?