(keitai-l) Re: Failure, schmailure, show me the money! (was Re: failure, succ

From: cfb <cfb_at_nirai.ne.jp>
Date: 12/29/01
Nick May wrote:

> So isn't there a better word than "wall"?

"Roach Motel", information checks in, but it never checks out.

uh...

"Membraned Service"(tm), information osmosis in one direction only.

Augmented?

Supplemented?

...oh hell, I give up.

Lexus-Nexus, Reuters, Bloombergs, InfoQuest, .smil, .sgov, credit,
crime, intel., and other specialized (pseudo) private/classified
databases/subscription services that skirt copyright/privacy/sensitive
legal gray areas are the only true "walled gardens"... everything else
is a hybrid or semantics... I haven't figured out which one yet.
If it requires a subscription, VPN, security badge, swipe card&pin,
smartcard, crypto card, biometrics authentication, air gap, clearance,
SSBI, key materials management officer, TPI (two person integrity)
and/or a two week long stay in a small, confined space in/under
ground/water/orbit, it's a good sign that the "garden" is "walled".

Regardless, you'd be surprised how many smart, non-computer oriented,
people use(d) things like AOL, WebTV, Compuserve, Prodigy, Gene,
BITNET, etc...  of course BBSs, Videotex and RIP user interfaces
used to be popular too.  Open networks/systems/standards are good
things; of that I know we all agree.