(keitai-l) wireless VPNs using GPRS or docomo packet data

From: Nigel Nolo <wimjam_at_gmx.co.uk>
Date: 01/04/02
This question is not really i-mode related, but goes out to all who have an
understanding of how wireless VPNs can be implemented. It is more europe
related, but as there are quite a few mobilex experts on this list I give it a
try anyway.

In the GPRS world, the user can set up 2 different bearers according to the
standards (IP or PPP (also X.25 but that is dead)). My understanding is that
for GPRS most vendors implement only the IP bearer, what if the mobile user
wants to dial up using PPP into his corporate intranet. The idea that he would
retrieve his Ip address through IPCP similar as for any dial up connection
to an ISP.
Obviously if this is possible this would leave us to possibility to encode
our traffic anyway we want (eg. using Ipsec or whatever).

Question here is if anybody knows if this is possible? Eg. are mobile
vendors supporting PPP on their mobile phones and on their GGSNs (who need PPP
capable PDP contexts).

other question: how can you implement VPNs over the Docomo packet core
network? which bearers are possible?

Cheers

Nigel