(keitai-l) Re: handwriting as Japanese input method for the keitai

From: Christian Molstrom <cmolstrom_at_lightsurf.com>
Date: 01/09/02
Who said Curt was being sarcastic?  I think this is a genuine tooth-n-nail mailist throat slashing, as the plug for PalmPilot
suggests.   Let's see some gore boys . . .

Christian

Curt says,
> > Thoughout all of this everyone ignored the obvious technological
> > loser who just pulled out his Palm Pilot, brought up the ATOK window
> > (http://www.justsystem.co.jp/), stroked in his kanji, and a few seconds
> > later was done.

Michael says back,
> Fine.  IF you have a Palm Pilot.  But some people -- long-time palmtop users
> even -- are ditching their palmtops when they find that their new mobile
> phone does most of what they were using their palmtop for.  This, despite
> losing pen input.  What's going on here?
>
> Apparently, a lot of people don't want to carry two handheld gadgets.  Which
> one would you get rid of first?  (Yes, it's either-or at the moment, though
> mobile-phone/palmtop hybrids might change this, I admit.)

Michael, do you have any evidence for this, or is this simply vapor thought?  I suppose if you have conquered the thumb-dexerity
learning curve, then tossing your pen is no big deal, provided the phone's apps really offer the same flexibility as do PDAs.  Or
people are willing to trade the convenience of information input and retrieval for the convenience and cost-saving of carrying only
one device.