(keitai-l) Re: docomo email hardware

From: Nick May <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 01/11/02
Nick May spouted promiscuously:

leap@gol.com wisely responded:
>Wonderful hacker urban legend material, if not actually true  And it could
>be true.  Legacy systems cling to life, or some semblance of life, the way
>those zombies did in George Romero films.

I got it from a guy I have known for a while who manages a computer job
placement agency who has supplied them with programmers. COBOL
programmers.ÅHe was not sure about Japan generally but he was certain
about Kyushu. I expressed impolite and raucous skepticism, but he assures
me it is true. Improbable, but true.

He said that Fukuoka is "crying out for COBOL programmers". I enquired
about PL1 (just for old times sake) but apparently only a few banks use it
still....

"Crying out for COBOL programmers". Ye gods. I know sunny Fukkers is a
village, but this is downright medieval. Perhaps my elite assembly skillz
can be put to good work after all....

Nick

(still - I have always felt that i-mode e-mail has a COBOLED together feel
about it....)