(keitai-l) Re: Vodafone enters m-payment arena

From: <drew.freyman_at_nokia.com>
Date: 01/15/02
DCM and Coke seemed to solve the problem with a bar code reader on the
vending machine.  In the BT case, some kind of secure verification
mechanism involving the POS terminal and network transaction clearance
system would seem to be necessary.  The problem is that it can become a
bit clunky (like in the DCM/Coke case) and expensive (from a cost per
transaction perspective--after all this is supposed to reduce
transaction costs, right?).

One solution might be secure rf chips--like the JR Suica card.  I
believe there is transmitter in the card (a minituarized version of the
kind of thing in your car key ring, that when you press it opens your
locks).  They are incredibly cheap and flexible to manufacture, cheap to
operate, and difficult to hack.  That is, this technology does not seem
to have some the problems of other local area rf technologies like
bluetooth and wlan and does not have the network cost problems of wide
area technologies.

If this rf technology were introduced into phones, either as part of the
sim or a small component in the phone, you could do the following:
1.  Pay for the product using your wide-area network.
2.  The wide area network would signal the vendor of the payment and
your unique, secure rf id.
3.  When you swiped your phone by the reader at the vendor's site, it
could then confirm securely confirm your payment and authorize release
of product, service, etc.