(keitai-l) Re: american 1XRTT network goes live, covers 53m users

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 01/30/02
On Tue, 29 Jan 2002, Josh White wrote:

> If you're interested in American progress toward an i-Mode-style model,
> Verizon announced its "Express Network" launched on Jan-28.
>
> "...1XRTT network capabilities...."

This doesn't look anything like i-mode because it's, well, not i-mode. :-)

This is their 3G data service, and would correspond to the FOMA
data service that Docomo introduced recently. (And is more or less
the successor of the low-speed data services that have been available
for in the U.S. for a long time.) It's not designed at all for use
by phones, but rather by computers, so it's no surprise that it's
connection based and there's no support (at least at the moment)
for browsing the web from a phone or anything like that.

cjs