(keitai-l) Re: per-packet pricing in U.S.

From: wimjam <wimjam_at_gmx.co.uk>
Date: 01/31/02
I would watch out with speed comparisons. as the results will be quite
mixed due to a number of factors.
coverage will be one thing.
the air-interface technology will be another thing,
optimisation of this air-interface (GSM, CDMA)is yet another thing, I am
referring to GPRS for this one.
and the optimised TCP/IP is another thing.

The vendors and operators might promise 20- 30 kbits... but dont see
this as the rate you are going to get. most of the TCP implementation
are for land-based networks and behave pretty badly on wireless interfaces.
So as the air-interface might actually get you 20-30-40 whatever kbits/s
(depending on the network, type of mobile, loading of the network,
subscription paramters, etc.), the tcp/ip stack will screw this up

luckily some vendors and startups are coming up with optimised stacks...

ps. another thing..
up to my knowledge applets and so only have access to the IP layer. that
actual speeds comes from the air interface. and ping is nearly
impossible to implement with an applet.

Nigel