(keitai-l) Oh No! Not 802.11b Again!

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 02/04/02
Well, it's been a while since we discussed public 802.11b (WiFi)
networks, and my excuse this time is that this particular trial is
being done by a company that owns some of a keitai provider. (Don't
bug me: Michael regularly gets away with much worse.)

Anyway, does anybody know anything about this trial? I'd love to
be able to use 802.11b instead of my Air-H" when I'm hanging around
the station. Is this just a "plug in and use it" type thing, or
does one have to sign up somehow?

cjs

--> Japan Telecom to Expand Wireless LAN Test Area
http://sg.news.yahoo.com/020130/16/2dl7l.html
Source: Asia Pulse on Yahoo, January 30

EXTRACT: Japan Telecom -- J-Phone parent -- said it would expand
testing of its Internet connection service that uses wireless LANs
(local area networks). It tested the service at Tokyo Station from
September through December. Starting in February, the test area is
to include the Shinjuku, Shibuya, Ueno, and Shinagawa stations on
the JR Yamanote line.

COMMENTARY: This trial uses 802.11(b), and is due to continue
through July this year. JT isn't the only player trying to figure
out how to make money on wireless LAN hotspot services. Ericsson,
Marubeni, and Handspring ran a Bluetooth hotspot trial in Tokyo last
year, and there's a wireless LAN service operating on the Odakyu
Electric Railway line that runs from Shinjuku south west to the
ever-popular Hakone weekend getaway destination. The Odakyu service
includes multimedia content from Asahi and the BBC (news), MTV,
sports clips, Nickleodeon cartoons, and others, and runs on an
802.11(b) wireless LAN.

{Those outside Japan who wish to take a virtual ride on the Odakyu
line can do so via Microsoft's Train Simulator game. Rail
enthusiasts can hop into train cabs on Amtrak's Acela line, on the
Burlington Northern and Santa Fe Railway, and on the Kyushu Railway,
as well as the OER.}