(keitai-l) Re: Sound files on FOMA handsets

From: dc <dc_at_gamelet.com>
Date: 02/04/02
Rachel -

(from the coming-real-soon-really dept.)

FOMA:

on the Nec phones: supports i-motion which is an a/v format for downloadable clips. You can just use the audio component. Users can d/l, store, make playlists etc. These clips are addressable from cHTML pages but not java.
on the Pana phones: <edit long story> there's streaming video...

503:

I think the doco fujitsu and the NEC 503 models support sampled audio, but this is non standard. I think it's cos they have the Yamaha MA-2 chip where the other mfr's are still on MA1. Not sure tho.

J-Phone:

Two recent J-Phone models come with built in ringtones that incorporate singing samples (SH-07 'come on' from the beatles and "La Bamba" on the Toshiba shamail phone). Tho J-Phone specs are all across the board, so its hard to extrapolate which other phones will also support this. These were also ringtones that shipped with the phone, I haven't come across any downloadables that use samples yet, but that might just be due to market size noone has bothered.

In the US - CDMA:

is quite popular (sprint, vrzn), as used over here by KDDI. The CDMA One phones have QCELP audio support (which is basically Qualcomm's voice codec). I saw a wap site that was teaching english, where you could click on links and hear the spoken samples, which would download and play neatly. I think QCELP is fixed around the 14k old cdma standard, so the clips come down much faster than realtime on KDDI's clippy current network.

This wasn't in the first rev of Brew, but is now exposed and will be in the panasonic brew phone when it ships here, and is in the LG phone for KTF/korea. VRZN is in the US presumably will have latest Brew impelementation since they're late.

Sprint is focusing on java rather than Brew but based on CDMA, but doubt they will extend MIDP to allow sampled audio first round.

Voice instruments: anyone remember Q-BERT??

Other keywords: Faith, SMAF.

(Footnote: Faith have a 45% profit margin on their tech licensing business!)

For US you might also want to look at Beatnik and Sseyo, java 'vector audio' extensions that incorporate samples.

/dc
david [dc] collier
  e   | dc@gamelet.com
      | dcphone@jp-t.ne.jp