(keitai-l) Re: J-Phone - from youths to suits?

From: Juergen Specht <js_at_nooper.com>
Date: 02/04/02
Michael pointed out:
> Nah, they just need to do a Japanese-language logo for their
> other enterprises; they can call themselves
>   BO-DA-HON
> Which could be read as "book on a stick" and ....

not so vad! Vecause there must ve a reason that there is no
successful Japanese company out there which name starts
with a B (at least not that I know of..Bictor? Is this
successful?). Uh, now I get confused...maybe I should watch
telebision instead of working late at night.

For outsiders: In Japan does not really exist a hearable
difference between V and B and a V normally gets pronounced
as B as in Bideo.

On another note: Does anybody remember the marketing disaster
as the companies KDD and DDI merged and invented AU while the
service EZweb stayed the same? It took a loooong time until
somebody understood this.

If you now ask a random J-Phone user what J-Phone - Vodafone
is, you get this answer (I just ask one of my merutomos):

"Don't know, have a Nokia."

A dictionary can not find any entry for Voda:
http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=voda
but suggests (to be fair as second hit) the word "Vodka"
(Bodka?). Mhm.

For us Germans the whole telecommunication branding just hurts:
AU means in German something like "ouch", while the company
Qualcomm starts with the German word for pain = "Qual".

Ouch.

Juergen
--
Juergen Specht CTO, Nooper.com - Mobile Services Inc. Tokyo, Japan
i-mode/FOMA consulting, development, testing: http://nooper.co.jp/