(keitai-l) Re: J-phone - from youths to suits?

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 02/05/02
On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Michael Turner wrote:

> IT introduces turbulence in these peaceful
> arrangements.  New IT initiatives make great
> and risky demands on a company's best people
> if they are to be successful. -- the loss of their
> time represents opportunity cost that has to
> be balanced, in some long run, against the
> benefits of the new technology.

This is the one point I'd disagree with. If a company's best people
are up to these sort of risky demands, they'll come out with some
sort of success. (Barring management not allowing them to succeed,
of course. Often this happens when the hoped-for return is, say,
to treble efficiency/profit/whatever, and when the best people come
back and say, "We can't do that; how does doubling sound?" the
project is declared a failure and cancelled completely.)

In my (admittedly limited) experience, chances are that if the best
people are not given these sorts of challenging projects, they're
not being given anything at all, and they're hardly more useful
than putting a standard drone in the same position.

But I agree, a definite risk is that Vodaphone will say, "Look how
much more efficient we can make you," and the response will be,
"So what?"

cjs