(keitai-l) Re: bar code scanners for ketai -- courtesy ofMcDonald's?

From: Michael Turner <leap_at_gol.com>
Date: 02/11/02
From: "cfb" <cfb@nirai.ne.jp>

> Nobody uses general purpose scanning for OCR... everyone already knows
> it's a complete waste of time when a simple FAX or e-mail PDF attachment
> will suffice.  Barcode recognition from digital camera snaps would be a
> far more interesting, relivant and low-cost experiment.

Stop me before I hack again.

I just bought my first digital camera ever, the execrable
"Che-ez! CRAKKER"  (Could I make that up?  Hey, they
used to offer one called "Che-ez! BABE".  What was that,
anyway, the low-end porn-site model?  Juergen?)  The USB
PCI adaptor plus the camera have so far set me back about
9500 yen (maybe $70 U.S.)

I'm also starting to dink around with code that samples
multiple photos and produces an enhanced image.  I'm
looking at stripping something out of the panotools suite
(www.panotools.org), but am open to other suggestions.

Still, I bet none of this comes anywhere near the telling us
about the problems of resolving barcode from the current
generation of phone-mountable cameras.  Don't believe
the billboard ads!  The best thing you can say about their
image quality, so far, is that if you have bad acne, here's
your chance to look like everyone else for a change.
Distinguishing the digits tucked under the bar code might
be possible, but .... more than that ....

Bar code? Or The Face on Mars?  You be the judge.

-michael turner leap@gol.com