(keitai-l) Re: iAppli for grocery shopping/barcodes - Retail example in the UK. not a keitai

From: Michael Turner <leap_at_gol.com>
Date: 02/13/02
I probably missed something, but it sounds like one of
Safeway's more ingenious deployments allowed people to
just walk out of the story without paying for most of the items
in their basket.  I guess this could work if you periodically
spot-check random shoppers and check their Palm against
the basket contents.  It might be much cheaper to pay
two security guards than seven cash-register operators.
Personally, I'd find this quite alienating though.

Anyway, this is the corporate-mediated approach, which is
understandable, but ultimately not going to fly.  (IMHO).

Let me say it again: barcode on your mobile phone won't
take off until it's (a) cheap and built in, and (b) under
your own control as an input mode -- i.e., basically
just a way to enter digits besides the keypad.

And again: retailers will hate this, but will be forced, by
consumers, to p[ermit it in the long run.  So I predict.

-michael turner
leap@gol.com