(keitai-l) SV: Re: iAppli for grocery shopping/barcodes - Retail example in the UK. not a keitai

From: Johan Montelius <johan_at_jmt2.com>
Date: 02/14/02
I can only add to the previous postings that this is not something strange.
In Sweden I've used it for more than a year. I been checked once (third time
I used it) and I guess they do the check in the beginning more part of the
training rather than detect shop lifting. The problem you have in the
beginning is to remember to scan the products. I find it particular hard to
remember in the manual disks where you receive your order and thank the
staff with a smile.

Problem number two: I know what vegetables look like and how they taste but
in order to get the bar tag I have to weigh it and press the right screen
button. The top ten products are all in pictures on the front screen but if
there not there I have to search with the name. Is it a zucchini or eggplant
or squash or .....

I predict image recognition will soon be in place; how hard can it be to
tell a banana from an apple? ..... or will this be based on smell ... banana
or TNT?

  Johan