(keitai-l) Re: i-mode demographics

From: Graham Brown <gbrown_at_wirelessworldforum.com>
Date: 02/15/02
Until prepay becomes a mainstream reality in Japan (beyond the Tomy type
implementations)
the whole youth market will be underdeveloped in terms of numbers. Right
now, it's one of
the few factors that will take japan from the 60%+ subscriber penetration to
the 80%+ levels
seen in Northern Europe.

Some statistics on kids usage of phones in Japan if this is of any help in
putting all into
perspective :

Number of 5-24 yr olds : 27.64 million
Market Value of above (based on combined consumer spend) : $97.69 billion
Mobile ownership in this demographic : 62%
Actual number 5-24  : 17.15 million
Market Value of 5-24 mobile owners : $80.14 billion

The Japanese mobile ownership demographic is heavily skewed towards the
older 20-24 yr demographic
in this instance and it tapers off rapidly as we move to high school 15-17
yr age. Whereas in other
European countries there is higher penetration at younger ages - ie even
10-12 yr olds.

Compare those to other countries

FINLAND

Number of 5-24 yr olds : 1.29 m
Market Value of above : $3.84 bn
Mobile ownership in this demographic : 67.01%
Actual number 5-24  : 0.9 million
Market Value of 5-24 mobile owners : $3.77 billion

http://www.mobileyouth.org

all about mobile internet & youth demographics.

GB